Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
4p

[Custom] Upgrade Chest

I'm not sure how well this will go down but, my idea is having an object like a chest (which would fit at home) that could upgrade certain items with a possibility of destroying that item. The upgraded version of this item (a high tier/imbued item such as bandos/imbued slayer helm/rings) would give a slight drop rate bonus.

Pro's:

• Will remove items from the game while simultaneously making them more sought after by players.
  • Will give the iron community something to do with duplicates of items/ a reason to continue killing another boss.
  • Adds a "custom" element to the game without the "power creep" of introducing more and more "OP" BIS items.
  • Eventually, higher drop rates through upgraded items could settle more expensive item's prices.

Con's

• There seems to be a lot more money in the game than certain items, removing them would increase their value even more furthering the "money" grind for newer players to get decent items.
  • Without knowing every single droprate and how multipliers will effect them, there might be certain drops that become way too common due to boosted droprates.
  • "The rich get richer" - As in, players with higher valued banks will be able to afford the items to upgrade and then be able to get better drops to make even more money.
  • Finding a good balanced "rate" for upgrades failing/succeeding may be difficult

Possible additions

• Upgraded versions of items could be untradable
  • Upgrading could require additional currency/points such as; pvm points/blood money etc
Edited by 4p

I like the idea behind this as I have seen it before as an tier system. The only problem would be the balancing. It is not a well sought after system for lower end players that have difficulty acquiring the items in the first place which usually turns it into quite a negative turn out as mentioned above with perks it could very well become a rich get richer aspect and could leave a nasty impression. If there is a way to balance everything perfectly and usually there is not I would be all for it. 

I support this as it could be a great gear sink but I believe you should also need to contribute gp in order to get the chance to upgrade the item for a decent money sink as well

I know exactly where you got this idea from. But in my opinion, you should be able to imbue helm/rings etc. in another way then just spending 1K slayer points you grind 34 task for. To lose it at death (lovely). This could work with this idea in mind. However, giving bandos an upgrade is just straight up no. If you want stuff like these, I can recommend a custom server which has all these things.

I don't mind trying to get a droprate bonus on succesfull upgrade. With like a 1-5% chance of succeeding? (1-10% increase (random)) Only one piece with a bonus will work. Highest will always be selected.

I don't believe there are enough gwd/raids items coming into the game that warrants an item dump (right now) so adding in another rng element like this sounds like hell. There's tons of replay value already existing in the game without having to do the same gear grind 2x,3x,4x? However long it would take for an item to successfully upgrade. This system wouldnt feel like other end game content either like clue hunting exp goals pet hunts, stuff at your leisure. It would feel like we're forced to do it since our BiS would be incomplete. 

I am in favor of item dumping via other means not so impactful, some kind of QoL increase at best like gwd items in exchange for instanced ecumenical keys or X amount of free entries yadda yadda, pvm points, cosmetic skin recolors or titles etc. 

Edit: I really like the key/free entry idea as grinding 40kc isnt the traditional gwd experience anymore, and the only way to obtain ecumenical keys right now is a slow monotonous grind of barraging monkeys or whatever for a couple hours for pvm points

Edited by soarin

21 minutes ago, Mat PvMs said:

No support from me, makes it way too far from the osrs feeling.

"Custom content" won the poll, I can't think of any custom content that would seem like osrs, whether it be a new boss or a new item and the item would have to be useful or it'd be dead-on-arrival (which brings power creep issues) 

1 hour ago, soarin said:

I don't believe there are enough gwd/raids items coming into the game that warrants an item dump (right now) so adding in another rng element like this sounds like hell. There's tons of replay value already existing in the game without having to do the same gear grind 2x,3x,4x? However long it would take for an item to successfully upgrade. This system wouldnt feel like other end game content either like clue hunting exp goals pet hunts, stuff at your leisure. It would feel like we're forced to do it since our BiS would be incomplete. 

I am in favor of item dumping via other means not so impactful, some kind of QoL increase at best like gwd items in exchange for instanced ecumenical keys or X amount of free entries yadda yadda, pvm points, cosmetic skin recolors or titles etc. 

Edit: I really like the key/free entry idea as grinding 40kc isnt the traditional gwd experience anymore, and the only way to obtain ecumenical keys right now is a slow monotonous grind of barraging monkeys or whatever for a couple hours for pvm points

I agree that those items aren't exactly plentiful in the server and were just said as an example, although a drop rate boost could help with that problem lol. I'd even be in favour for upgrading something like a crystal key into equmenical key etc. The idea being that there's some interface which could have items added to it provided there was enough balance and incentive rather than "let's make bandos upgradable!" 

17 minutes ago, 4p said:

"Custom content" won the poll, I can't think of any custom content that would seem like osrs, whether it be a new boss or a new item and the item would have to be useful or it'd be dead-on-arrival (which brings power creep issues) 

Pet perks, 200m capes and stuff